Wednesday, August 15, 2012

They Could Have Chosen Any Author in the Baltimore Metropolitan Area, but Instead They Chose Me

Friends, readers, countrymen, lend me your screens once more. I blog to you today to announce my first non-self published publishing credit. That’s right, after three and a half years of periodically submitting my work for the perusal and rejection of others (by that I mean writing contests), some of my work has finally been chosen. Although I wholeheartedly believe in publishing my own work, I still enter writing contests. Why shouldn’t I? If my work is chosen for a magazine or literary journal, it will automatically be seen by large numbers of that magazine or literary journal’s readership. I’m not some “screw the gatekeepers of traditional publishing” zealot. I use both traditional avenues and DIY methods in my pursuit of a life of earning enough money as an author to become a full-time author and still be able to provide food, shelter, clothing, and medical care for my family (that’s a doozy of a sentence- right?).
Anyhoo, here’s a link (Urbanite) to my creative non-fiction essay, published in the August 2012 issue of the Urbanite, a Baltimore based monthly magazine (my essay is the third one from the top of the web page). The title is Prom Date (the Urbanite doesn’t list specific titles for essays- it just lists them all under that month’s theme (Nerves)). Enjoy it along with the other selections. If you live in the Baltimore Area, pick up a copy from a newsstand, bookstore, coffee shop, or the like. They have interesting articles- and- they’re free, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment